Wednesday 5 June 2013

Pushed Hard - Got results!

13th June 2012

On a side note, I saw the cutest little bunnyrabbit this morning. I love bunnies, they're just so damn cute!

Anyway,

I spoke to my sister yesterday who told me that I should run for an hour this morning doing the 1:1 training. She said that it would be hard but that the first time is always the hardest. I checked on Google Maps to see how far I would have to run in order to cover 5km and with that in mind, I decided that I would go for it on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, I decided to do my kettlebell workout DVD as I think I'm on the verge of getting a shin-splint again. I keep R.I.C.E.-ing it and taking Ibuprofen which I think has helped to stave it off. Anyway, I was able to get further into the DVD before I had to start taking breathers. Although I did stop for about 20 seconds each time, I rewound the DVD so that I could complete the whole set. The lunges were a killer but I knew that they would be worth it since it's your glutes and abs that provide stability to your other muscles. So this morning,  I was really stiff and thought that I may find this mornings run painful.

I have to say that that wasn't the case. Usually it takes me 8 minutes to complete the route that forms my warm-up but today it only took me 6:30 minutes and I felt a lot more 'loose' than I have for a while. Once on the other side of the old bridge (which marks when I start running), I started my workout and the first four runs were as they usually are - horrible but necessary to warm up and loosen up. (I did pass a wino who I thought might make a comment but nada). I don't know if it's because I knew that I was running a further distance or what but I settled into a natural pace and decided to just keep running no matter what. On the path, there is a horrible small hill that I had to get up but before I reached it, I gave myself a pep talk. I decided that it would be better to view it as a small challenge and that I had two choices: quit or conquer it. I conquered!

As I was running, I did think that I was covering a greater distance than usual and I seemed to reach Golden Post no problem. ('Golden Post' is the street where I usually turn around and run back. It's been a marker for most of my runs as the place to aim for). Well, I ran past there today and onto another part of the lane that I have only glimpsed before. Fortunately, because it was early, the park wasn't busy with cyclists and the like so I pretty much had the place to myself. There were a few runs at this point where I would stop, see I had 30 seconds left, would take a breather for two seconds and then start running again in order to finish the rep. Although I was tired, my asthma was fine, I was keeping my form and I felt that I had more to give. Well, I did! I got to the end of the route and turned around to go back. I have to admit that the last rep on the way out was hard and I stopped 30seconds in. When I turned around, I decided that I would keep going with the reps and if I had to slow down, then that is what I would do. Well, I don't know what happened - if it was because I knew that I was on the home stretch or because I came into my zone - but the run back was easier. My thigh muscles ached but weren't painful and burning, my breathing was regular, I stayed lifted out of my hips and I had good form in general. I actually started to really enjoy it. I was able to keep the reps up until I came to the old bridge which ends with a steep, small hill (going up). Well that is where my run ended - just as I was going up the little hill. I felt great! Not in the sense that I had the runner's high but in the sense that I had done it! I still can't really believe it. I did have more reps left on my watch but I knew from checking at Google Maps that I had covered the distance that I needed to. My Garmin recorded a total 1:1 distance of 3.31 miles in 54 minutes with my best pace being 5.42min/mile. I am pretty damn pleased with that!

I also found on my cool-down that I recovered really quickly. I know that my fitness has improved as a week ago, I took my resting heart-rate which was 74 beats per minutes (b.p.m). Yesterday, it was 64bpm! That is one hell of an improvement. I had also been told by my swimming coach once, that the true measure of fitness is how quickly you recover. So although I put a lb on overnight (which I think may have been due to the kettlebell), I am starting to reap the benefits in other areas.

And I've lost an inch off my hips!!

Now I feel really stiff and can feel all of the muscles in my legs. I have done some stretches and had a well deserved hot shower.  I suppose that as my workout was hard, I should expect to feel some pain. Bring on Friday!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment