Wednesday 5 June 2013

-4C? I think I'll go for a run

8th February 2012

Temperature: -4C    Weather: mild, cold but no ice!

You know it's a bloody cold morning when you scrape the frost off the windows of your car and then realise that the reason it's not coming off properly, is because it is on the inside of your car! Yep, it's a chilly -4C at the moment.

I set out for my run this morning and felt pretty good about it and was particuarly keen to do well, since today was the final day of Week 1 of the training programme. I wasn't too bothered by the cold as the top layer of my skin was numb (so couldn't actually feel the cold) and I knew that I would warm up soon. I did however, have a hard time on this run. I don't know if it was that the cold just made me even more stiff or if it's because my monthly visitor is around the corner but either way, I felt like I was running through treacle. I don't expect my workouts to be easy and I know that it takes a while to get warmed up but this was hard work. I still completed all of my runs however and didn't stop no matter how much I wanted to.

I also, for the first time ever, had someone actually say 'Morning!' to me! Granted, he was also out for a run but I don't understand why some people are so bleedin' miserable. At the very least, I smile at people who walk or cycle past me but they all just blank me. How hard is it to just smile back?!

I am due to go out for a run on Friday which will be the first day of Week 2 but this is when my monthly visitor is meant to make an appearance and so I may skip it. I do usually feel really crappy round about this time and it could just be my body trying to tell me that I would be doing too much and that taking a week off every month is the best thing for me. As I get fitter, it may be that my body becomes more tolerant of what I'm doing to it but for the moment, I'm going to have to play it by ear.

I'm cooling down now and really need to take a shower. Then it will be a cup of tea and vegging out for a bit.
Toodles!


No comments:

Post a Comment