Wednesday 5 June 2013

Chavs and Heathens

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"
- Eleanor Roosevelt

So Fridays run went well - we were tired but still managed to do what we did on Wednesday so it was nothing to be upset about. As Mum finishes work sooner on a Friday, there was 'all-sorts' out for a walk along our running route. Unfortunately, some of these all-sorts were chavs (and I mean the young-teenage-parent-still-covered-in-spots-and-forever-uneducated type of chav). I knew that if I could get by them without heckling that it would be a miracle. I don't believe in miracles. Just as well.

Mum ran past them first followed shortly after by myself. One of them moved out of her way and so when I went past, I looked him in the eye and said "thank you". He then commented that I looked like I had run a marathon. Fair enough - I do go very red in the face and it was just an innocent comment. The others that were with him however, seemed to take this as an invitation to then heckle. The only one that I clearly heard was "Bloody hell, I can feel the ground shaking!"....from a girl. So much for sisterly support. I didn't respond but couldn't help thinking "At least I'm fucking educated". I look forward to the day when I can just sail past them no problem at all, stones lighter and they realise that weight-loss is a journey that may take some time but pays off in the end.

I decided not to say anything to Mum about the heckling as I thought that it may upset her and put her off from going running in the future. I did however tell Dad who, today, told me that Mum had heard some heckling going on (but didn't hear what was being said) and didn't say anything to me about it in case it upset me. I asked her about it earlier today and she said that she didn't think I had heard it. Of course I bloody heard it! I was right next to them when they said it.

Anyway.

Yesterday was a day of 'recovery' with a walk up to the Devil's Pulpit in Tintern. It was supposed to be a gentle hike but was actually quite difficult in places. The road was so muddy that it was like walking on sand - one step forward, two steps back. The trail was gentle enough - we ended up taking the long way round which was uphill for 2 1/2 miles (700+ calories burned. Can't remember exact number at the moment). The view was definitely worth the climb and on the way down, Mum got talking to a pair of walkers who showed us a quicker way down (I was more than happy to walk the same route back but Mum was tired). Their way may have been quicker but it was bloody harder! I don't think that it started off as a footpath - more of a stream. Very wet, very muddy and very steep. It certainly was quicker though. I think that the going down has inflamed the lining of my knee as it's quite sore to bend. It feels bruised but I didn't bang it or jar it yesterday so I can only assume that it was the going down that did it.

We stopped for a cream tea and on the way back to the car, we bumped into the couple again. They had also had a cream tea and Mum made a comment about 'replenishing calories' and this woman's husband points at me and Mum and says "These two don't need to replenish calories". Cheeky. Fucking. Bastard. What is it with people believing that they have the right to put others down?

Still, I let it wash over me somewhat in the sense that I didn't retaliate and it didn't ruin the weekend. It has however made me even more determined to live an active lifestyle and to not judge people by appearances (except for those chavs).


View of Tintern Abbey from the 'Devil's Pulpit'

No comments:

Post a Comment