Wednesday 5 June 2013

Doctor tommorrow

25th June 2012

Well I've made an appointment to see my Doctor tomorrow. A couple of months ago, I wrote an entry about how I think I have an under-active thyroid but have had no luck with doctors.

A little background as to my situation:
  • When I was younger, I was a competitive swimmer: I would train 5 times a week for 1 1/2 hours and during the summer, I had galas most weekends. I was also diving, participating in lifesaving, doing sports at school and judo.
  • As soon as I hit 13, I piled on the weight. My eating habits didn't change but I got bigger and bigger. Eventually the bullying started and ironically, I began to comfort eat.
  • The swimming and sport continued up until I left high school by which time I was so miserable, I quit swimming and rowing (which I was also doing by this time) and embarked on weight watchers (my comfort eating was under control by this point). Time went on, I still watched what I ate and dieted. I lost about 1/2 stone and then gradually (even though I was still following the diet), the weight went back on and then some.
  • Fast forward a couple of years and in desperation, I went on the Cambridge Diet. I dropped to 500cals a day and lost half a stone. The diet was rigid in the extreme and expensive and the weight went back on and then some.
  • I went to my Dr for help and told him that I can only lost weight when I drop to 500cals and he told me that clearly my body is very good at using what calories I give it, then shrugged his shoulders.
  • Another Dr said that I should cut out food groups.
  • Fast forward another few years and my mum and I embarked on the GI Diet together. She lost 1 1/2 stone, I lost 1/2 stone and then it completely stopped. For weeks, I could not get beyond this point. I went back to the Dr with my mum and was told that there was nothing that they could do. The weight gradually went back on and then some.
  • A new Dr started at the practice and so I went to see her for help. She did one blood test for an under-active thyroid which came back as being in the 'normal' range. That was that. She said that there wasn't a problem and basically told me that I'm fat because I don't exercise (which she now tells me every time I see her even for none weight-related problems).
  • I have done some research into my symptoms and they all come back as being related to an under-active thyroid. I am going to see my Dr tomorrow and I want some answers. At the very least, I will give him a written list of my symptoms and try and convince him to treat me on my symptoms. I have been running since January and doing kettlebell exercises and have lost 1/2 stone. Now it has stopped. I try and remain optimistic and positive but I just want to be normal and live my life. I hate that there are things that I cannot do because of my weight and I hate how people treat me.
Guess I'll see what he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment