Wednesday 5 June 2013

Just an update

2nd May 2013




 Well, it's been a while so figured that I'd give an update and keep this diary going.

I've been going out for runs with my Mum and it's not going so well. I was prepared to give it a chance (re running with a partner) but I prefer to run on my own. First off, Mum doesn't understand that when you run 1:1 intervals (1 minute running, 1 minute brisk walking), that it is more important to finish the minute run than to run as fast as you can and get knackered with 20 seconds left. Explaining this to her is like trying to communicate with Martians using only some baked bean cans and a piece of string. Mum is adamant that she can't run that slow and so never finishes the minutes and in short, we are not making progress. I didn't want to enter Race for Life this year anyway as I hated the last one so I don't care if I have to walk the bloody thing.

On the plus side, I have been doing Beach Body's P90X. It's a 90-day challenge which consists of three phases. I don't want to go into too much detail about them but the first phase constitutes:
  1. Chest and Back and Ab Ripper X
  2. Plyometrics
  3. Shoulders and Arms and Ab Ripper X
  4. Yoga X
  5. Legs and Back and Ab Ripper X
  6. Kenpo X
  7. X Stretch/Rest
This is repeated for four weeks until you begin the next phase. This is also in conjunction with a healthy diet plan in which you are guided into eating more protein, less carbs and basically just making better choices. I thought that I would miss my carbs (mainly potatoes) but since learning that potatoes are just starch and don't actually count as one of your five a day, I honestly don't miss them. I also don't miss fizzy drinks although I am getting bored of tap water because it tastes so bloody vile. Still. These changes are for the better and you have to fight for the body you want.

This is actually my third go at P90X having suffered two false starts. Still perseverance and consistency are key.

I do enjoy P90X and since the workouts are about an hour each, it's only 4% of my day. When I don't feel like it, I'll remember this and I'm sure that I'll get the workout done. It's amazing how quickly I improve as well. I feel stronger and fitter and I was actually able to hold myself in a decline push-up position (and managed 1/2 a push-up. Woo!), a plank and my press-ups and chair-dips are improving all the time. In short, I have lost 2lbs since Monday. Go me!

I am due to finish the first phase at the end of May and I shall probably give another update then. I am feeling really good about this and have a wedding to slim down for for 2014. I *will* be wearing a dress and I *will* be able to wear a bikini for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment