Wednesday 5 June 2013

Just get through it

I have to admit that when I woke at 5:30am this morning, I felt really tired but I was up for a run and there was no way that I was going back to bed.

I knew that today it would be quiet down by the river as we had a lot of rain and high wind last night; it was still raining slightly this morning but nothing a waterproof jacket and a baseball cap couldn't handle. I find it a bit ridiculous that some people won't go out in any kind of bad weather (unless it's torrential) especially in this country! Still, it meant that I didn't have to dodge pedestrians and homicidal cyclists; just slugs and snails (but no puppy dog tails).

The 1:1 training session was much better today - not perfect but better. I felt really stiff and couldn't run very fast, so I told myself that that was alright, I was getting warmed up. The muscle stiffness did go away after a couple runs but my speed was still slow. I figured that getting through the workout was more important than speed and that I should focus on my technique. I have to say that compared to Wednesday, this run was much better. I did stop four times before the end - once 22 secs, once 5 secs, once 33 secs and another 12 secs. I figured that this is o.k. as I have never actually run 1:1 before and I think that I did bloody well. It's also nice to run without the pressure of thinking 'OMG, I'm only on week 3!'. I have had the cramp again in my lower leg, which, a couple of weeks prior, signaled the shin splints. Since it was only bothering me when I was walking and not running, I knew that I was fine to continue. I need to take the weekend easy and be sure to R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation).

Here's to a relaxing weekend!

Update: I have now reached £100 in sponsorship money! Wooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment