Wednesday 5 June 2013

-2.5C? I think I'll go for a run

1st February 2012

Today I got back into running after having being ill and I'm glad that I went. The tendonitis is gone, as is the cold (oh how nice it is to breathe in the fresh, crisp morning air through unclotted lungs). I did have a bit of a trial getting into town due to the traffic but I perservered and I am so glad that I did as this was one of my best runs yet.

It was also bloody cold but I knew that with my jacket, hat, gloves and a brisk walk, I would soon warm up. I did worry that after taking two weeks for recovery, that I had basically undone all of my hard work and reset to zero. It turns out that this is not the case as I completed all of the runs bar three: the first because my trousers came undone and were falling down (trousers round ankles and wedgie on display is sooo not a good look for 2012), the second because I just stopped (this really annoys me! It's not even as if I think 'God, I'm knackered, I have to stop' or 'ow, my asthma is killing me'. I just stop! Clearly mental endurance is something that I have to work on, so this has been added to my goals for February), the third time, a woman started talking to me about running and I don't think that she realised that I had my earphones in. I thought that it would be rude to ignore her so I stopped (this was actually the final run and I stopped about 6 seconds from the end). I didn't cover as great a distance as I did on one of my other runs but as I actually ran for the vast majority of this workout, I technically covered a greater distance by running. Either way, I am bloody happy!

I did get a bit of stitch as I started but it was light and was gone within seconds. It kicked in with a vengeance on my cool-down but I kept my posture straight and just walked it out. I also got cramp in my arse at this point but I figured that if any part of my anatomy really needs a workout, it is my gluteus maximus (I actually just wrote that as 'maximus decimus' and then realised that I was getting confused with 'Gladiator'!).

As it is the end of the month, I also thought that it would be a good idea to look back at what I have achieved and set some new goals:

Achievements:
  1. I went on my first solo run
  2. I have kept at it
  3. My asthma has improved dramatically and I haven't needed an inhaler for any of my runs
  4. I recover quickly from my runs
  5. Although the scales say that I haven't lost any weight, I am now on the last notch of my belt
  6. My posture has improved
  7. I feel more confident
  8. I am sleeping better
Goals for February
  1. Make it a habit to relax my shoulders when I run
  2. Keep my head up and stop looking at my feet
  3. Complete every second of every run
  4. Complete week 1 and progress to week 2
  5. Keep at it
  6. Work on mental endurance and just keep on running.
I was planning on completeing the 'Race for Life 5K' this year but I'm not sure that I'll be ready in time. I think that I'll work on these goals for now and re-assess at the beginning of March.

For now though, I have earned myself a treat so I'm gonna have a good perv at James Purefoy in 'Ironclad'.

No comments:

Post a Comment