Wednesday 5 June 2013

Night, night my little Lewey

14th April 2012

So a few weeks ago I wrote about how my cat had been diagnosed with terminal cancer.

Well last night, he was on my lap licking his foot and my leg was wet. Lewey normally ends up licking my jeans at the same time as his foot, so I wasn't overly concerned. A few minutes later however, I realised that my leg was a lot more wet than usual and I saw that there was a liquid dripping out of his cancerous tumour. There was no obvious cut or anything and after calling the vet for advice, they said that it could be that the pressure was causing the liquid to seep through his skin and that they would see him tomorrow.

After going to the vet today, they offered antibiotics but it was clear that it was pointless. We didn't want him to suffer and he's been through enough. Antibiotics would not have prevented what was happening and would be hopelessly fighting the inevitable. So the decision was made to put him to sleep and he died in my arms. I have never seen my Dad cry before (not even when Grandad died) but he was in floods of tears. When we got home, we all held Lewey on our laps and I thought that Dad wouldn't want to do this but he did.

Lewey wasn't a cat to me, he was a firm member of our family for 13-years and my best friend. He was always the sweetest thing; never bit or scratched and never complained. His love was constant and unconditional. He truly is a pure soul. I really miss him deeply and the house feels completely empty without him. I believe that when a living being dies, that it is not the end. I don't see how it could be. I know that I shall be with him again soon but I wish that we never had to be seperated in the first place.

I love you, Lewey and will love you always. Sweet dreams x

   


No comments:

Post a Comment