Wednesday 5 June 2013

Seismic activity anyone?



 17th October 2011





Well, I went for a run today. A 'run'.

I went out with my sister in my day-glo orange jacket and new tracksuit and reinforced sports bra and got the shock of my life when I discovered how unfit I am. I knew that it was bad, but not that bad! I have exercise-induced asthma and went out without my inhaler. I didn't have any problems fortunately as I have been working on my breathing technique but was amazed at how hard it was to run for only 1-minute. I know that I lug a lot of weight around but this is ridiculous.

the cat is now on my lap and I can no longer type. Type later.

OK, he's off.

As I was saying: Despite receiving the shock of my life re my lack-of general fitness, the session was good in showing me how I need to get a grip on my weight/health (the two are not mutually exclusive) and that I cannot possible get any worse! In short, I did enjoy my run and plan to go out 3-4 times a week following the couch to 5k plan. 

I was worried that people would heckle me but nobody did. I did get a bit nervous when I saw two lads a bit further up the path who were walking in my direction, but they didn't say a word. I suppose that you can't belittle someone who is actually off the sofa and exercising! I also reminded myself when running, that by walking/running with my head held high, I appear confident even when I don't feel it.

I have also checked out Slimming World groups but am unsure as to whether or not I should go. I have the books, have (largely) kept up with the diet (as it is so easy to follow and is now a way of life) and I do feel capable of doing it myself. I have a fitness and food diary so I shall be writing down what I want and I shall also be posting my weekly progress on here. I guess I'll go it alone initally and if I feel that I can't manage it, then I shall go to group. 

I generally feel a lot more positive about the whole 'journey' that is ahead of me and I finally believe that I am capable of doing it. My previous posts were very carthartic and got a lot off my chest, even when I didn't realise how much they had been affecting me. I have also found the people who have read my blog to be very supportive. So thanks to everyone!

Here's to this week, my two/three other running sessions and this weeks weigh-in which shall be on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment