Wednesday 5 June 2013

All stop and all start

11th February 2013

Don't let the fear of striking out hold you back.
- Babe Ruth
 
Well after that first date, we continued to chat for a bit on-line but I didn't feel any inclination to ask him out again, which I guess gives me my answer. He didn't ask me either and eventually, after being hounded by pervs, I closed my account.
 
I initially liked the idea of dating but I  am definitely the sort of person who has to feel sparks with a person, otherwise I feel no inclination to continue seeing them. I am however, still glad that I gave it a go and put myself out there...even if only for 5 minutes.

On the exercise-front, the weather has turned so I can start running again. It's still cold and damp - this is England after all - but it's no longer snow and ice. I am going for my first run tonight...with my Mum!

You have no idea how much of a momentous event this is: for her to agree to come running with me is amazing.  She is like how I was in many way- overweight, unfit, poor diet, lack of motivation, nervous and in denial about it all. She has also signed up for Race for Life (RFL), which I ran last year. I don't think that she expected me to continue with the running and even to complete the RFL and when she saw me do it, she realised that she can do it too.

I am also relieved that she is running with me, as she is getting bigger and bigger and her Dad has diabetes. Considering that Mum puts weight on her stomach, I know that her risk of diabetes is great. Then there are the general health problems caused from being overweight such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arthritis etc and she gets out of breath just doing up her shoes and sweats profusely at the slightest bit of physical exertion. I have been worried about her health for a long time, as has my sister, but I think that the fact that she sees herself as smaller than me (not by much - I put weight on my butt and hips, her on her waist) has kind of been her security blanket ("well at least I'm not as big as Aeneid). So it is a weight off my mind that this could be the start of a healthier lifestyle.

Due to my return to running, my posts should be more frequent and with any luck, the weight loss will speed up.

Cheerio!



No comments:

Post a Comment