Wednesday 5 June 2013

1st day of Mum run

"My advice is to go into something and stay with it until you like it. You can't like it until you obtain expertise in that work. And once you are an expert, it's a pleasure".
- Milton Garland

Well, the run will Mum went quite well. I tried to explain to her that she wants to run slower than her natural pace as then she'll be able to finish the whole workout without knackering herself out. She didn't seem to get this and could only do 3 of the runs before her knees started to hurt. I told her that that was fine and expected and that I would run on and then turn back around and join her; so off I go, I come to a bollard and decide to make that my turning point. Around I go but I spy Mum on my left as I go round and she follows me around the bollard until both of us have done a 540degree turn! Glad that no-one saw that.

I know that three minutes doesn't sound like much but you have to start somewhere and you do experience all manner of aches and pains as you engaged muscles that have been hardly used for a long time. She seems pretty pleased with herself anyway and we are even running a new route today so shall see how that goes (it's snowing at the moment so is going to be bloody cold).

As for me, I didn't expect to be able to run and be able to keep going. I thought that I would be back to square one but as I have been doing other forms of exercise, I guess that it has paid off. I am determined that I shall finish the run today even if Mum has to walk and I have to run back to her. Monday was all about her but I need to get my workouts in as well.

Second run tonight! Can't wait to get in from the cold, have a shower and then sit in front of the lovely fire.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment